Monday 7 May 2012

Critical Reflection and Summary: Digital Portfolio



Throughout ‘Module WBS3630 - Principles of Professional Inquiry’, I have engaged with my networks to enable me to develop my professional questions, ethical considerations and evaluation of the tools needed for my professional inquiry.
When choosing the subject for my inquiry, sharing my initial professional questions on my blog was an effective way of networking with other students who had similar lines of inquiry (Task 4a). Reading and commenting on other’s professional questions; especially Jo Bradley, who I have offered and received continual support and advice from; has proved an insightful tool in developing my own questions.
To help with further engagement in my networks I formed a SIG entitled ‘Teaching Dance to Young Children’ on Facebook; agreed by fellow BAPP students as the ‘ideal wiki’ (Task 4b). The SIG has been an excellent platform for me and the other members to discuss each other’s inquiry topics; gain advice or critique; and link our blog posts and other documents on a wiki (Facebook) which is accessed daily by the majority of members. Subsequently feedback and responses have been considerably faster.
My initial proposed inquiry topic (Task 4c), was a useful way to start connecting with my other networks of previous college peers, and professional dance teachers; adding depth to my existing knowledge of my professional practice. However after starting a new job, my line of inquiry developed further to encompass a more current topic I was involved in (A change in direction …). After discussing the topic and piloting initial questions on children’s movement through my SIG; fellow students were very positive, agreeing that my proposed inquiry would produce useful benefits.
In order to develop the ethical considerations of my inquiry, I became aware of the additions and differences between my own ethics (Task 5a), and the relevant official codes of practice and regulations (Task 5b). Relating all these ethical codes to the ‘Module Reader 5: Professional Ethics’ (Task 5c), helped me to gain a better understanding of their importance, and the validity they will bring to my inquiry. Through discussions with my networks (comments on all Task 5 blog posts) I was referred to other ‘code of practice’ documents and further reading material on ethics (WBS 3630 Reader 5: Reading 3 [Doyle, D. 2007]), which have all developed my ethical considerations in regards to my inquiry.
To enable me to evaluate and decide on the tools needed for my professional inquiry, I conducted a pilot interview, focus group and observation (Tools of Professional Inquiry). This helped me to consider the limits and merits of each tool; and by sharing my experiences with my networks, I was able to gain further analysis of the tools, and suggestions for improvements (Task 6a). Partaking in other students inquiry tools (survey), has given me the chance to experience the tools as a participant. Therefore I have taken this into consideration when planning my use of inquiry tools (eg: are the question’s clear; would I be intimated or pressured by the questions? etc…)  
My communication with the networks has been extremely useful in the planning of my inquiry; and my engagement will continue in order to help and support me to carry out the entirety of my study. 

No comments:

Post a Comment