Wednesday 21 March 2012

Task 5c - Professional Ethics

After referring back to 'Reader 5: Professional Ethics', it has become clear how the codes of practice I follow in my work place/professional community relate to the theoretical ethical framework and the ethics of professional inquiry.

The three main contexts regarding ethics: personal, professional and organisational, 'contribute to the promotion of social good in the larger society' (Reader 5 Professional Ethics, Middlesex University).
Each context requires the practice of evaluation, and the decisions made can have a ripple effect from personal to professional to organisational, resulting in ethical issues society has to question to be justified, good, right and/or necessary.

The 'Council for Dance Education and Training' (CDET) states in it's 'Code of Practice':
Be aware of developments in Child Protection legislation and undertake Criminal Records Bureau enhanced disclosure as required.
I have constructed a diagram which shows the ripple effect of ethical issues this may produce:

Personal Being aware of the regulations & developments in Child Protection legislation.
Knowing you are safe & responsible, your own limitations and your capability.
Professional – Obtaining a CRB certificate. Reading up on
the ‘Code of Practice’ for your work place regarding child welfare.

Organisational – Your employer/organisation making sure you have/or getting you a CRB check/certificate.
Ensure employees have proficient knowledge of child protection policies.

Society – Is there enough training and information available for dance teachers & their employees on
Child Protection? Is there sufficient funding available to supply CRB checks and training?


In regard to the three 'Theoretical Approaches to Ethics'; consequentialism, deontology and virtue ethics; I have related each approach to a situation I have previously had to deal with in my professional practice:

Situation - A child (aged 10/11) is seriously misbehaving in class; shouting, being very rude, disrupting the class and other pupils. After using a variety of techniques and approaches to discipline and calm the child down, I send them to stand outside the door for 5 minutes, before asking them to return to class and behave appropriately. The child does behave for the remainder of the lesson. (Note - the door was open and an assistant teacher could see them at all times.)

Consequentialism
'The notion of the greatest happiness for the greatest number is at the heart of consequentialism' (Reader 5 Professional Ethics, Middlesex University); based on this I feel that the action I took was ethically right. By sending one child out the lesson for a few minutes, the other twenty children were able to concentrate and gain more from the lesson. As the behaviour of the said child was also improved, I feel my action adheres to the consequentialistic ethos: 'whether an action is morally right depends on the outcomes'.

Deontology
As a 'sharp contrast to consequentialism', the action I took may be questioned to whether it was morally right or not. In terms of Deontology, ethical action should be 'rule' and 'duty' based; and although I had tried other discipline techniques first, should I have taken the action I did? Did I give enough consideration to the welfare of the child? Did I disregard my 'duty' to give every child the opportunity to benefit from the class?

Virtue Ethics
The emphasis here lies with the 'character of the moral agent'. I take my personal and professional ethics very seriously, adhering strictly to the relevant 'codes of pratice', and try my utmost in every situation to do what I consider to be in the best interests of the children and morally right. As I only stopped the child joining in the lesson as a last resort, and it is something I would very rarely do (in fact that is the only occasion); I feel according to virtue ethics, considering my moral intentions, the action I took would have been morally and ethically right. 

I have found that a large amount of the fundamental principles of the 'CDET Code of Professional Conduct and Practice', interlink with the ethics of professional inquiry. Integrity, Objectivity, Confidentiality and Data Protection are just some of the components essential to both my professional practice and my professional inquiry. 'Work in a collaborative and cooperative mannor with other professionals'; this applies when I work with colleagues day-to-day and the way in which I conduct my inquiry will have to adhere to these ethics. 'Not attempt to influence or intimidate any examiner at any examination'; this is a ethical rule I adhere to my professional practice and also relates to my role as a researcher. As an insider researcher I must avoid influencing my participants by not asking leading questions and consider whether covert or overt observations would change or affect the outcome of my research/inquiry. 'Act in such a manner as to safeguard the interests and well-being of the children' and 'ensure that confidential information obtained in the course of professional work should not be disclosed without pupil or parent consent' ; are both codes of practice provided by 'The Council for Dance Education and Training'. These regulations closely relate to ethical standards of inquiry where participant's 'well-being' should be 'safeguarded', allowing them to voice opinions without being abused. Ensuring 'confidential information' isn't 'disclosed without consent' is obviously a very strict ethic I will consider in my inquiry; protecting the data I collect, not making it accessible to others and disposing of it at the end of my study. There are many more ethical standards of professional inquiry I will need to adhere to, and I am sure I will continue to become more aware of these and gain experience in dealing with them as I begin to conduct my research.

'Reader 5: Professional Ethics' along with a number of everyone's BAPP blog posts and debates I have had with friends and family regarding ethics; has given me so much to think about. Please let me know what you think about my connections between codes of practice in dance teaching and professional inquiry; and the theorectial ethical framework posed to us in the reader.........





 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lizzie, we both seem to have learned a lot from the ethics reader and this section of the module. It would be really interesting to discuss with you any difficulties that you come across that are ethics related as we go about our inquiries even though they may be in different areas. I liked the examples that you used, they were really clear to understand and helped to back up my ideas about the ethics theories. I'm finding deontology the most difficult to get my head around even though the principles behind it are quite simple.
    keep in touch x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lizzie,

    I love all the examples you have used within this blog. It makes it really clear to see how the principles are put into practice.

    From reading the section on 'Theoretical Approaches to Ethics' I think the word 'judgement' is extremely important. A lot of Personal/Professional ethics links with a person's judgement of a situation. With the example you used above, you judged the situation (obviously your personal ethics and professional ethics playing a huge part in this) and you made a decision which you believed to be of a good ethical standard.

    You are totally correct in saying that the codes of practice outlined by the CDET will certainly interlink with the ethical standards you will have to adhere to for your professional inquiry. There is a really good section in the Reader, I think it is additional reading 3 by Danny Doyle, which has very useful information that is specific to Professional Inquiries. I'm sure you could combine the guidelines on the CDET and also some usefil tips from his article which will ensure your inquiry is ethically sound.

    Also, Alicia mentioned BERA and creating a checklist, this will also help to ensure that you are following the correct ethical guidelines.

    Sounds like you are really on track with everything and I look forward to reading more about your Inquiry. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete